Founded in 1945, Duralex has been manufacturing tempered glassware and tabletop products for over 80 years in La Chapelle-Saint-Mesmin in the very heart of France.
Using a technique developed in the 1930s by Saint-Gobain, moulded glass is heated to 600 degrees Celsius, then cooled very quickly, giving it an impact resistance twice superior to ordinary glass.
As a result of their commitment to innovation and quality, they have achieved global recognition and remain the top choice when it comes to durable, chip-resistant glass products.
The Secret of Duralex Glass’ Resistance
Duralex glass, heated to a temperature of 700°C, is suddenly cooled by ventilation of cold air throughout. This tempering operation improves its resistance to mechanical and thermal shocks. The glass is 2.5 times more resistant than conventional (non-tempered) glass and can withstand a 130°C thermal shock. When broken, tempered glass shatters into a multitude of small, non-sharp pieces.
Not only is the glass 100% recyclable, it is also non-porous hygienic.
What are the benefits of Duralex Tempered Glass?
- Impact and chip resistant, extremely durable – Duralex tempered glass is 2.5 times stronger than ordinary glass.
- Shock resistant – Duralex is manufactured to withstand sudden temperature extremes from -20°C to 100°C and is suitable for hot or cold liquids.
- Safety – If broken, Duralex shatters into small pieces, reducing the risk of injury.
- Hygienic – Nonporous Duralex glass does not absorb liquid.
- Stackable – The Duralex glasses and bowls are stackable for convenient and space-saving storage.
- Top quality – Constant quality control guarantees excellence and built-in durability, ensuring that Duralex products will maintain their look for many years.
- Microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe – Adaptable modern glassware can go directly from the freezer to the microwave. Dishwasher Safe.
- Made in France – Since 1945
The video below demonstrates how tough Duralex glass is.
Duralex remains a strong, reliable and endearing brand which has conquered the hearts of millions of consumers.
Crystal Direct is proud to be the official distributor of Duralex products nationwide.